VET Support to Serbian Detention Facilities
Project type: Services Project Budget: 2,000,000 euros.
Project location: National Project Status: Finished
Project Source of Funding: EU IPA - Contract ID Europe Aid /130043/C/SER/RS
Project Donor: EU
Implementing partner: HD European Consulting Group Serbia,Berufsfortbildungswerk-Unternehmen für Bildung and AARHUS TECH (Denmark)
[20-09-2011 - 20-09-2013] (Serbia)
Short description: The objective of the project is to enhance the process of re-socialization of adult inmates after serving their sentence through raising their employability.
The purpose of the project was to support the Ministry of Justice-Directorate for Execution of Criminal Sanctions in establishing sustainable and productive system of vocational education and training of convicts in prisons in Serbia.
Achieved results: - Overall strategy for vocational education (VET) in prisons in Serbia was developed based on the results acheived during the implementation of the pilot programs of the vocational education in 3 detention facilities in Serbia: in Požarevac, Sremska Mitrovica and Niš.
- Draft of the Strategy for further development of the prison system includes a chapter on education and vocational training of prisoners and their work
- Draft of the budget for the implementation of VET was developed, as well as methodology and instruments for monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of VET strategy
- 5 pilot programs of the vocational education in 5 different areas were implemented. Trainings were attended by 538 convicts, of which 510 succesfully passed the exams.
- Training of 20 VET trainers and 60 instructors of practical training in prisons was held
- Didactic manuals were prepared in orther to support members of 3 teams established for trainig and implementation of pilot programs in three detention facilities
- 60 officers from Department for Execution of Criminal Sanctions were trained for the tratement
- Established Systems for quality control, monitoring and evaluation
- Individual plans for studing were created and motivation/activation plan is applied
- 37 NES officers were trained for resocialization and employment mediation of former prisoners
- Partner teams were established on state and local level
- A survey of the conditions for employment has been conducted in cooperation with employers and Chambre of Commerce of the Republic of Serbia
Comment: *Partners: HD European Consulting Group Serbia, Berufsfortbildungswerk-Unternehmen für Bildung (bfw - Unternehmen für Bildung, Germany) and AARHUS TECH (Denmark)
**Budget: Approximately EUR 2,000,000
***All project participants, representatives of institutions involved, have given positive remarks to the implementation of all trainings, and gave special emphasis on the good cooperation established and maintained among the participants, constructive approach and open communication of the project team.
During the project strong efforts are put into raising awareness of the citizens to accept former inmates and to change and improve the awareness of their potential employers and colleagues.